Friday 4 November 2016

Tournament Review – Autumn Showdown, 30 October 2016

Venue: Wayland Gaming Centre, Hockley, Essex

Tournament Organiser: Mike Marshall

I won’t lie, the Showdown events are amongst my favourites on the calendar.

They’re always really well run by Mike, who is a consummate pro at this TO routine. He has the systems in place and well rehearsed, and knows what works. He also brings lots of laser-etched glassware for us players to compete for, along with plenty of Wyrd prize support to raffle off. Interaction with the players is another big plus – he joins in the good-natured abuse we throw at each other and helps make everyone feel welcome.

One thing I’m a major advocate of is the Best Sports or Best Opponent prize. In my view it’s the most important prize – if you’re even competing for it, you can say that you gave your opponents a good, fun game that they enjoyed, and that for me is worth more than winning. I’ve said often and loudly, I’d rather lose a game than win it by underhand means or in a fashion that my opponent didn’t enjoy.

The one thing I feel should have been given more prominence was the painting competition. It felt a bit shunted into a corner.

That’s a minor gripe though. The atmosphere was really pleasant with pretty much every single table top to bottom having a laugh and coming away with stories, mostly about Dave Hill and his multiplying Stitched Together (the git). I particularly enjoyed the breaks between games to catch up and chat to people I hadn’t seen in a while.

The Showdown events have been pencilled in for next year; 26th February, 7th May, 30th July, 22nd October. I’ll be there and I would definitely recommend that you give them a go!

Runners and Riders

Wooden Spoon: Thomas Henry, Neverborn

Best Painted: Joel Henry, Gremlins

Best Sports: Maria Wieland, Outcasts (GO MARIA!!!)

3rd Place: Dave Hill, F*cktrumpet (he used Dreamer, Daydreams, Stitched Together and b*gger all else…)

2nd Place: Mike Jenkins, Outcasts

1st Place: Joel Henry, Gremlins (he used Zipp all day)

Big congratulations to everyone, particularly the Henry family. Joel proved yet again that he’s a bloody good player, and his son Thomas proved that it takes more than good genes to be good at Malifaux…

No comments:

Post a Comment