Monday 10 July 2017

Back in the Box - Panzer's Going Home


Been doing a lot of thinking lately. That would probably explain the thick smell of burning over Northamptonshire at the moment. But there have been reasons behind it.

 

There are things going on in the background that I won’t bore you with here. That’s meant looking again at what I get from gaming. For me, gaming is the release. It’s my social interaction. The high points of my week. For those few hours a week I get to stop being Ben the apparently unemployable finance bod, and take on the Panzer persona to play games and hang out with friends.

The Pandora / Neverborn experiment has been very hard work. Trying to pick up a new faction competitively whilst working out schemes, and play in a completely different style to my usual, is tough at the best of times. Never mind when there’s so much going on behind the scenes. So whilst it was a good idea, and I will come back to it, right now I need to be playing games my way.

 

Deep down I’m still a Guild player. Since that first event with them, when the only Guild Master I had was Lady Justice, there was a smattering of other stuff and nothing had even seen the tin of Chaos Black, I’ve not clicked with a faction to quite the same extent. I won that event – my first ever podium at a Malifaux event, never mind win. Guild are not a fashionable choice, they’ve never been top tier, but they and I have very similar aims in mind. Wrap up the points whilst putting as many things in the ground as possible, and if we can do that whilst throwing curve balls at the opponent (“I’ve never seen that model before, what’s it doing?”) so much the better.

 


So the Guild are coming back out. Will be dusting off their case tonight and throwing them straight back on the table at Squigs. A lot of the Squigs are synonymous with particular factions – Ben Halford is Resser Squig. BluTack is Arcanist Squig who dabbles. Joel is and always will be associated with Neverborn, even if he pops up elsewhere for a while. Brooks is inherent randomness and crazy. And then there’s me with Guild.

Another change I made was to take myself off the rankings. I’m always an advocate of rankings, my events are submitted to rankings and I have absolutely no issue with them at all. My broken brain just struggles sometimes to cope with the fact that once upon a time I was ranked very highly and now I’m not. At my peak I scraped inside the top 10 at no. 9. I qualified for Masters in the 2015 season having missed out by less than 1 point in 400 the season before. Right now, just finishing the 3 games of a tournament is an achievement, never mind living up to past glories. When I know I can finish events without the mental demons resurfacing mid-game, then I’ll start worrying about where I stand in the rankings again.
 
So yeah. Pandora is back in her box for a while. She’ll be back, that’s for sure, but for the meantime I’ve gone home. I’m a Guild player again. And it feels good.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment